Re: [Re]distribution of disk images

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 87k61bjwu0.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de>, Florian Weimer
> <fw@deneb.enyo.de> writes
> >* Ottavio Caruso:
> >
> >> I'd like to post some Debian disk images, created from original
> >> Debian packages, to some sites via http or bittorrent. What
legal
> >> obligations have I or the hosting site? If the packages are all
from
> >> the /main repository, and presumably mostly GPL, do I have to
make
> >> the sources available or can I simply point to the Debian
> >> repositories, e.g.
> >
> >My understanding of the GPL is that you must make the sources
> >available, on your server.
> >
> WRONG (imho).
>
> *IF* Ottavio is a private individual, then he can take advantage of
the
> "pass on the offer you received to obtain the source" clause of the
GPL.

Thank you. Two more questions:

1) Does it make any difference if it is a [hard]disk image or an
installation cd?

2) Is there any template that I can use? For example:

"This [distribution OR disk image] contains unmodified binaries from
the Debian 'main' repository. Package source are available at
packages.debian.org.
Example: package 'bash'
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/bash

We believe that this way, as a non commercial entity, we comply with
art 3,c of the G.P.L. v2.

However if this in not enough for you, you can request a cd with all
the sources at the price of $10 + the shipping fee."

Would that be enough and legally valid?

Ottavio Caruso

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com