Re: [Re]distribution of disk images

In message <[🔎] 87k61bjwu0.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de>, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> writes
* Ottavio Caruso:

I'd like to post some Debian disk images, created from original
Debian packages, to some sites via http or bittorrent. What legal
obligations have I or the hosting site? If the packages are all from
the /main repository, and presumably mostly GPL, do I have to make
the sources available or can I simply point to the Debian
repositories, e.g.

My understanding of the GPL is that you must make the sources
available, on your server.

WRONG (imho).

*IF* Ottavio is a private individual, then he can take advantage of the "pass on the offer you received to obtain the source" clause of the GPL.

Of course, if Ottavio is posting on behalf of a company, and it's the company that is putting the stuff on the server, then you're right.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk