Re: Elive requires donation to download

On Fri, 2006-24-11 at 07:08 -0800, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Elive <http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Download/Stable/>, based on Debian,
> requires a donation, however small, to allow downloading the stable
> version.
> I wonder if this legally sound.

Is that just wondering out loud, or a particular question? I think it
should be fine license-wise, except if they've included any
"non-commercial" hoohaw from non-free.

Probably the only potential sticking point is making source code
available, for those packages that have licenses that require source
code availability at no cost. I think that if you don't have to pay an
additional fee, on top of the first donation, to get the source code,
they should probably be in the clear.

Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>
The Debian Project (http://www.debian.org/)