Why not use a non-us section for program with patent problems in US?

Hi debian-legal!

[ While I occasionally read debian-legal, I might have missed previous
discussions on this matter. If you have references to such threads,
please give them. ]

AFAIK in large parts of the world, e.g. in Europe, software patents
are not recognised. Debian has previously used a non-us section
(physically hosted in the Netherlands, I think) to work around the
U.S. restrictions on export of software implementing strong
cryptography.

Why not use a similar solution in order to make availble software that
is encumbered with patent problems in the U.S. but not elsewhere?

--
Hans Ekbrand