Re: CC's responses to v3draft comments

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:50:04 +0100 Lewis Jardine wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > Clause 4(d) states, in part:
> >
> > |       in the case of a Adaptation or Collection, at a minimum such
> > |       credit will appear, if a credit for all contributing authors
> > |       of the Adaptation or Collection appears, then as part of
> > |       these credits and in a manner at least as prominent as the
> > |       credits for the other contributing authors.
> >
> > Credit must be "at least as prominent as the credits for the other
> > contributing authors".  Even if the licensor's contribution is not
> > comparable to others?
>
> > If it said "at least as prominent as the credits for the authors of
> > other comparable contributions", it would be OK, but the actual
> > clause doesn't say this, unfortunately.
> >

> Interestingly, CC Scotland 2.5 states
>
> | in the case of a Derivative Work or a Collective Work, placing that
> | credit in the same place, and at least as prominently, as any
> | comparable authorship credit.
>
> and 2.0 states
>
> | at a minimum such credit will appear where any other comparable
> | authorship credit appears and in a manner at least as prominent as
> | such other comparable authorship credit.
>
> I wonder if this might just be a rewording oversight?

Both CC-2.5/scotland and CC-2.0 have the "any other comparable
authorship credit" ambiguity issues, as explained in the CC-2.0
summary[1] by Evan Prodromou.

Maybe the rewording was intended to improve things from this point of
view, but failed to limit the scope of the prominency requirement.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_