Re: License review request: LinuxMagic FSCL

Walter,

Thank you for your comments (everybody else too).  Sorry for not
following up sooner; please see question below.

On 9/27/06, Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Ryan Finnie <ryan@finnie.org> asked for help with:
> > (c) You must make Source Code of all Your Deployed Modifications
> > publicly available under the terms of this License, including the
> > license grants set forth in Section 3 below, for as long as you Deploy
> > the Covered Code or twelve (12) months from the date of initial
> > Deployment, whichever is longer. You should preferably distribute the
> > Source Code of Your Deployed Modifications electronically (e.g.
> > download from a web site); and
>
> This looks like forced *public* availability and a 12-month retainer,
> which I think is both a significant cost (so not free redistribution)
> and maybe a practical problem.

If you need to make any modifications, then with this clause, I don't
think that it can even be uploaded to non-free.  Debian does not
insure that every version ever distributed will be available for 12
months.

How does this differ for the GPL's section 3(b) three-year clause?

At this point, the feeling seems to be that software that uses this
license cannot even be uploaded to non-free.  If that is the case, I
will make an effort to contact LinuxMagic and ask them if they can
re-license magic-smtpd under the GPL (it looks like some of their
other software is GPL-licensed), and/or ask them to contact
debian-legal to discuss what can be done to make it possible to
include magic-smtpd with Debian.

Again, thanks for the input.

Ryan Finnie