Re: Non-free IETF RFC/I-Ds in source packages

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:04:22 +0200 Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> writes:
>
> > Simon Josefsson wrote:
> >> http://wiki.debian.org/NonFreeIETFDocuments
> >
> > A useful thing to add to that page would be simple instructions on
> > how those authoring IETF documents could make them available under a
> > DFSG-free licence (presumably in parallel to the IETF one) - perhaps
> > some sample boilerplate text to include.
>
> Good idea!
>
> I've added two new sections to the wiki page:
>
> 1. Template for license to include in RFCs. [1]
>
> 2. Template for e-mail to request additional rights from RFC
> authors. [2]

Simon, I would like to thank you for your effort in this struggle
against non-free IETF documents in Debian (main).
I really appreciate the time that you're dedicating to improving Debian
from this point of view!  :)

Good job!

[...]
> If you prefer another widely recognized free license instead, such
> as the revised BSD license, the GPL, the MIT/X11 license, that
> is also fine.

I think it would be better if you explicitly gave reference URLs for the
cited licenses.

Moreover, it seems that a good URL for the X11 license is not easy to
find (there used to be a copy at http://www.x.org/Downloads_terms.html,
but it disappeared; there used to be another copy at
http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/licenses/X11?rev=1.1.1.1,
but it had vanished too, last time I checked).
And some people claim that there is no single "X11" license, since many
slightly different variants have been used for parts of XFree86 and
Xorg...
Consequently, I would rather suggest the Expat/MIT license, which is
clearer and less ambiguous.

The reference to the 3-clause BSD license should also made clearer.

These considerations lead to the following proposed rephrasing:

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_