Re: Non-DD's in debian-legal

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk>
> [...] as we've just seen, people (both people from debian-legal and
> elsewhere) do seem to think that debian-legal is or ought to be where
> these decisions are taken.

Who did that?  I must have missed a few posts.

FWIW, I think that debian-legal is a useful resource, should be
consulted, especially in the situations described in policy, but
the decision-making should be carried out like other package
decisions, including not being spiteful when bugs are reported.

> [...] To maintain a package you need a
> clear technical head, a certain minimum time commitment, and the
> results (good or bad) are clearly visible.  Whereas anyone can blow
> off hot air on a mailing list.

Blowing off hot air on a list is always unhelpful.  Parsing a
licence needs a clear head, a certain minimum time, but the
results are not often clearly visible.  That's probably why it
sucks, frustrates the crap out of so many people and the good
work that is done is underappreciated.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef