Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 01:06:42AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> Le Lun 22 Mai 2006 00:55, Steve Langasek a écrit :

> > > Not if it hurts the project. And it does.

> > How?

> I personally thinks it hurts our users, and as a secondary effect, us.
> Beeing distributable is a property that should not be depends upon the
> time, the color of your hair, or the phase of the moon.

> Java license (especially clause 4) makes the distribution of a specific
> version of java beeing revocable, which can hurts a lot of users that
> may then depends on it. A re-licensing e.g. would not be the same,
> because the last previous version that had a distributable license
> would still be allowed to stay in non-free until full deprecation or
> even for life.

These are fine reasons why Sun should be encouraged to make Java free
software, instead of merely making it redistributable; or why we should
educate users about the importance of Free Software and why they should
think twice before accepting non-free solutions.  This might even be an
argument for Debian discontinuing non-free altogether.

But I don't really see that they apply as reasons to keep Java out of
non-free.  Non-free is, well, non-free: very little, if any, of the stuff in
there is distributed under terms that would prevent a copyright holder from
later forbidding us from distributing the existing work, AFAIK, and there's
no reason in general that we should be *happy* with the licenses of any
works in non-free (though some individuals in the community may be).