Re: Bacula license (was Re: Help Selecting License for Bacula Documentation

> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 08:00:25PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> > *trademark*
>> > unfairly and without permission.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, I pulled this clause from some existing license
>> -- perhaps an IBM license. I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is
>> that
>> intellectual property right does not include copyright -- if it does,
>> then
>
> In the USA, at least, it usually does.
>
>> the clause does not do what I intended, because I have nothing against
>> copyrights.
>
> It vaguely resembles this in the Postfix license:
>
>     If Recipient institutes patent litigation against a Contributor with
>     respect to a patent applicable to software (including a cross-claim or
>     counterclaim in a lawsuit), then any patent licenses granted by that
>     Contributor to such Recipient under this Agreement shall terminate
>     as of the date such litigation is filed.  In addition, If Recipient
>     institutes patent litigation against any entity (including a
> cross-claim
>     or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the Program itself
> (excluding
>     combinations of the Program with other software or hardware) infringes
>     such Recipient's patent(s), then such Recipient's rights granted under
>     Section 2(b) shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.
>
> But this clause doesn't mention everybody globally.

Hmmm. I don't think I have ever seen the Postfix license, but someone else
has probably picked it up, and applying it more globally is almost surely
something I have added.

In any case, I have now deleted that clause from my current working copy.

> -- John

Best regards, Kern