Re: UC license and debian

kris wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 19:06 -0400, Benjamin Seidenberg wrote:
>  [[snipped]]
>>>   I guess you mean that it does allow commercial licensing
>>> and therefore is not compatible with debian.. Is that correct?
>> No, it doesn't allow commercial licensing. See Bill's post on the list.
>> In brief:
>> DFSG 6:
>> "6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
>>  The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
>> a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
>> program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
>> research."
>> The UC License prevents it from being used in commercial software.
> OK.. now I am really confused.
No problem ;-). Let me try to help...
>   Below is the relevant text.
> I read this as free for non-commercial use
>  and non-free for commercial use.
>  GNU GPL can't be used in commercial software
Incorrect. Here is where the error lies. The GPL allows you to sell
copies of the software - you just have to provide the source code with
it, and whoever you sell it to could then give it away. For more
information see:

> and by the above reasoning, therefore is not DFSG free?
(Obviously by removing the claim on which this is based, we show this as

I hope this helps!