Re: Help Selecting License for Bacula Documentation

Benjamin Seidenberg wrote:
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> John Goerzen wrote:
>>> I'm forwarding, with permission, parts of a message from Kern Sibbald,
>>> author of Bacula and its manual.  The current manual, which has a
>>> license listed at http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/index.html, is not
>>> DFSG-free.  However, Kern has indicated a willingness to consider other
>>> license arrangements.
>>>
>>> Kern's main concern (correct me if I'm wrong, Kern) is that he doesn't
>>> want someone to be able to publish and sell paper versions of the
>>> manual.
>>>
>> Yes, this is correct, but with the nuance, that I would be very happy to
>> see the manual published in physical form provided there is an agreement
>> for a reasonable financial contribution to the project, which should take
>> into account normal royalties and how much work the publisher (or whoever
>> transforms it) has to do to get it in a publishable form.
>>
>> In my other email, I attempt to explain my reasoning behind this.
>
> While this is an understandable viewpoint, and one that I can sympathize
> with, any license that would provide protection such as you describe
> would most definitely be in violation of the DFSG, and as such, not
> distributable by debian, at least in the main section (though possibly
> in non-free).

On the other hand, note that the GPL requires that distributors notify
recipients about the Free Software status of the work, which would allow
people to know "hey, I could get this for free online"; this might
achieve a similar effect to what you desire.  Furthermore, I don't know
for sure, but a carefully worded license *might* manage to require a
specific notice as to the unofficial, non-endorsed status of the manual,
while still remaining DFSG-free.  You could then specifically grant
distributors the rights to call themselves an official and/or endorsed
manual in exchange for whatever auxiliary licensing terms you want.

- Josh Triplett