Re: UC license and debian

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 01:24:50PM -0700, kris wrote:

> We are releasing some software and would like to
> make sure it is compatible with debian.
>
> We have been told that this is the current license to
> use for UC produced works.
> http://www.ucop.edu/ott/permissn.html
>
> I searched the archives to no avail.  I notice
> that it no longer includes the advertising clause,
> so it looks pretty good to me.
>
> Any ideas whether this is compatible with debian
> or not?

It is not DFSG free, but OK for non-free.

   The following statements should be placed at the beginning of the
   software so that it is observable on the computer screen and included
   in any documentation:

   Copyright © 1996^(1) The Regents of the University of California.
   All Rights Reserved.

   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
   documentation for educational, research and non-profit purposes,
   without fee, and without a written agreement is hereby granted,
   provided that the above copyright notice, this paragraph and the
   following three paragraphs appear in all copies.

This fail DFSG 6:
"6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

 The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in
 a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the
 program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic
 research."

   Permission to incorporate this software into commercial products may
   be obtained by contacting the University of California. [Insert the
   name and address of the authorized licensing agent for your campus.
   Refer to UC Copyright Contacts for assistance.]

   This software program and documentation are copyrighted by The Regents
   of the University of California. The software program and
   documentation are supplied "as is", without any accompanying services
   from The Regents. The Regents does not warrant that the operation of
   the program will be uninterrupted or error-free. The end-user
   understands that the program was developed for research purposes and
   is advised not to rely exclusively on the program for any reason.

   IN NO EVENT SHALL THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY
   FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES,
   INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND
   ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS BEEN
   ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. THE UNIVERSITY OF
   CALIFORNIA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
   LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
   A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS ON AN "AS IS"
   BASIS, AND THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS NO OBLIGATIONS TO PROVIDE
   MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

The rest is pretty standard, so it is OK for non-free. That is a boring
license.

   Notes: (1)Insert the first year the software was made available to the
   public as well as any subsequent years in which a modified version is
   made available. The last two paragraphs must be in capital letters to
   comply with the Uniform Commercial Code.

Ah finally a bit of fun: a claim that warranty disclaimers must be in
capital letters. Eben Moglen disagree...

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.