Re: how to properly specify "Public Domain"?

JC Helary <jch.helary@free.fr> wrote:

> Public domain is clearly defined in copyright law, and that should be
> so in any country that has any kind of copyright law.

I fear there are a couple of countries that didn't obey your "should".

> Copyright only
> extends to a certain period of time after which it does not exist
> anymore.

That idea probably exists everywhere, but you can't say "treat this file
as if I died 70 years ago" in the EU, AFAIK.

And all that doesn't answer my question: Whether it's debian-legal's
consensus that "This file is in the public domain" grants us enough
rights to distribute it in main, or non-free, or not at all.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)