Re: how to properly specify "Public Domain"?

"Patrick Herzig" <patrick54@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe this thread helps:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/06/msg00018.html

Sorry, not really (or I've missed the relevant mails).  I read a lot
about whether public domain licenses work as they are intended, and
something about how to properly phrase them, but nothing about whether
"This file is in the public domain" is sufficient information to say
that the file is DFSG free.

>> If there's a file in one of my packages that only declares to be in the
>> public domain, do I have to contact the author and let him clarify this,
>> or can I leave things as they are?

The fact is that there's at least one file like this in tetex-base.  And
I'm not sure whether the copyright holder can still be reached.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)