Re: cdrtools - GPL code with CDDL build system

Eduard Bloch wrote:
---BEGIN QUOTE---
    c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
    when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
    interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
    announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
    notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
    a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
    these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
    License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
    does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
    the Program is not required to print an announcement.)
---END QUOTE---

Take note that cdrecord is never interactive, so GPL 2c doesn't apply.

Wrong. It displays messages by default and tells you how to stop the
command etc. IMO this can clearly be interpreted as interaction.
Even if, for the sake of argument, we accept that "send SIGINT to stop this program" satisfies "read[ing] commands interactively when run", notice the first part of the the text: "If the *modified* program normally..." So, if I modify the program to no longer prompt, I am no longer required to include that notice.

What that clause is really covering is stuff like this:

   anthony@feynman:~$ bc
   bc 1.06
   Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'. bc, unlike cdrecord, does actually read commands from standard input (its a calculator, if you're not familiar with it)