Re: Is the GUST-FONT-NOSOURCE-LICENSE free?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
Except for the source issue.  The concrete example, as you might have
guessed, are the ANTP fonts, which are available as PostScript Type1,
TrueType and OpenType fonts.

I have heard a talk of the author, Janusz Nowacki, last week at the
DANTE meeting, and I got the impression that in fact he uses FontForge
or a similar editor, and doesn't use its scripting facilities (much).

I'll ask him again, but it seems to me that in this case the PostScript
Outlines are in fact the preferred form of modification for the author,
and I see no reason not to accept this as source in the sense of the
DFSG, since there doesn't seem to be anything better.  Consequently, the
fonts would be free.

This font has been originally created using METAPOST; its creation has been described in a paper titled "Antykwa Poltawskiego: a parametrized outline font". However, since it has been heavily tinkered with while in Type1 form, there is no other "source" of the finished font.

Per analogy, if you render a 3D scene and then finish it with Gimp, the original scene is no longer the source; the preferred form of modification is now the 2D image as otherwise all finishing steps would have to be reapplied.

Anyway, I've packaged one of the GUST fonts (antp) once. A ftpmaster (Joerg Jaspert) didn't have problems with the source; the reason for rejection was unspecified license:
* CTAN says "public domain"
* GUST's page mentions a "GNU license"
* the embedded license field says just "(C) by Polish TeX Users Group GUST"

I've tried contacting Janusz Nowacki on 28 Apr 2005 and 14 Sep 2005 but received no answer. He's obviously alive, so this could be caused either by his lack of time or a mail misconfiguration somewhere on the way; anyway, I finally forgot about the issue. As there's a relicensing going on, it's moot now anyway.

ANTP, at least in the version I got, has the hinting of several glyphs seriously botched; it can be easily fixed with FontForge by adjusting the glyphs or just dropping the hints. As this font has no straight diagonal lines, FreeType's autohinter does a good job, too. On the other hand, another font, ANTF, consists mostly of diagonal lines, and thus looks awful in typical on-screen sizes; its wide charset coverage makes it useful nevertheless.

My old ITP for ttf-antp (#299771) is still lingering open, but as you seem to be interested in the whole GUST set, there is no point in having a separate badly-done package for just one family. Just take the Panose data (for R):
2 4 5 3 6 5 11 2 3 3
or in textual form:
Family                  Text & Display
Serifs                  Square Cove
Weight                  Book
Proportion              Modern
Contrast                Medium
Stroke Variation        Gradual/Horizontal
Arm Style               Non-Straight Arms/Double Serif
Letterform              Normal/Contact
Midline                 Standard/Pointed
X-Height                Constant/Standard

The Panose rules are pretty counterintuitive and operate on measurements rather than on textual description -- for example, the cap on 'A' is flattened, but small enough to fit into "pointed"; it takes several hours to slog through the rules for the first time, but, once the data is set, Panose can point out similar fonts pretty well. As it's a part of CSS3, it's a good idea to have this data included.

Regards.
--
/-----------------------\ Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet,
| kilobyte@mimuw.edu.pl | I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!