Re: Results for Debian's Position on the GFDL

olive <olive.lin@versateladsl.be> wrote:
> > A Word document is never Transparent.  From the GFDL:
> >
> >   A "Transparent" copy of the Document means a machine-readable copy,
> >   represented in a format whose specification is available to the
> >   general public ...
> >
> > The Word format specification is not available to the public.
>
> Word documents can be read and written by a free software whose source
> code is available (openoffice). So I think that now we can say that the
> specification of the Word format is available to the public, even if it
> is not published by M$. (there might be an exeption for some unusual
> very complex word documents not fully understandable by openoffice, but
> from my experience this is only a very tiny proportion of word documents
> using some special feature like macros, etc.).

Your last sentence shows that the specification is not public.  That
is all that is required to keep it from being Transparent.  Having a
tool that partially implements the spec does not completely document
the spec.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu