Re: GR proposal: GFDL with no Invariant Sections is free

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 12:52:00PM +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> On 1/31/06, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> > "olive" <olive.lin@versateladsl.be> wrote:
> > >  I personnaly think that Debian would do better to defend free software if
> > there were in accordance to the FSF.
> >
> > I personally think that the FSF would do much, much better at defending free
> > software if they operated in accordance with Debian.  Debian-legal has proved
> > better at guaranteeing the FSF's 'four freedoms' in practice than RMS, what
> > with the GFDL and all.
> >
> > Let's face it: the FSF didn't create a full free-software system.  Debian did.
> > The FSF didn't even create the majority of the GNU project tools.  Volunteers
> > did, and many of them *disagree* with the FSF leadership.  Discussions of the
> > merits of FSF policy are forbidden on FSF mailing lists, with the exception
> > of a few which appear to go to /dev/null.
> >
> > The FSF is, bizarrely, a top-down autocratic organization, with all the flaws
> > that implies.  Debian isn't, with all the benefits and flaws that implies.
>
> Let's face it: Debian wouldn't exist without the FSF.

Maybe not.  Neither would a lot of other things.  That's a strawman that
doesn't change where things are today.  The FSF deserves respect for their
part in getting us here, but not so much that they're exempt from critical
review.

--
Glenn Maynard