Re: GR: GFDL Position Statement

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 00:31 +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:

> I hope some volunteers to install it and check, so that a serious bug
> can be filed against kpovmodeler, if necessary...

Since I used to play with povray before becoming involved with debian.

I've just installed kpovmodeler 3.5.0-3, and played with it a little.

>  * kpovmodeler works perfectly without povray,

Without povray, you lose the ability to render your scene in
non-wireframe format (also you cannot preview textures). You can compose
your scene fine if you don't mind the wireframe display.

However, you can export scenes to the plain text povray format, which
you could then manually translate to other formats. Also, the .kpm files
it saves are gzipped XML that could possibly be converted for use in
other ray-tracers if they implement enough features. .kpm files
certainly look more useful for transfer to other ray-tracers than .pov,
which has some scripting features. kpovmodeler can apparently
import .pov files (I didn't test that though).

>  * kpovmodeler doesn't work because it needs povray (which is not
>    installed), or

False.

>  * kpovmodeler doesn't seem to work, because I have no clue and don't
>    know how to actually use it...    ;-)

It works fine and seems to implement support for quite a lot of povray's
objects/textures/etc.

--
bye,
pabs