Question on GPL compliance

Hi all,

I'm looking for ways to comply with the GPL without the 3-year requirement (I don't know where I'll be in 3 years).

Suppose I have an online store that sells CDs of GPL software. People buy the CD and we ship it to them. One obvious way to comply with the GPL is to always send a second CD with the sources.

Now, here's another idea. Suppose that when the user clicks "buy" they get a message: "would you like the sources CD? (extra $2)". If they click yes we package it too. If they click no we don't, and never again have to worry about the sources because we did give them a chance. And because the offer was for a CD, it is an "equivalent medium".

In your non-lawyer opinion, is this an appropriate use of the GPL?

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://oooauthors.org