Re: "object code" in the GPL and printed copies

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:

> since I couldn't find it in the archive, I have to ask here: Has it been
> discussed, and if yes to what end, whether a printed version (of a
> GPL'ed document) would be "object code" as treated in section 3,

Typically that's the presumption (since object code is "not source"),
but that's really a question of law rather than the DFSG (i.e., get a
lawyer if it's important to you).  As for the DFSG, I don't see how a
license that did not permit distribution of paper copies could be free.
Whether it's source or object code, it's still a version of the work,
and so the freedoms of the DFSG are still important (possibly with the
string of source distribution attached).

Generally the concern with documents goes the other way: folks want to
make sure that paper copies can be distributed in classroom environments
and the like, where source distribution might be a significant
inconvenience.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>