Re: Distributing GPL software.

On 1/13/06, Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net> wrote:
[...]
> I think his point is this: Person A can legally make and distribute a lot of
> copies to B without putting B under any obligation, as long as B doesn't
> make more copies himself.  B, who now has a lot of copies, can dispose of them
> as he wishes by first sale, without having to obey the GPL.

That's right. But you don't really need person B unless you modify the
GPL'd work.

http://www.copyright.gov/reports/studies/dmca/sec-104-report-vol-1.pdf

"There is no dispute that section 109 applies to works in digital
 form. Physical copies of works in a digital format, such as CDs or
 DVDs, are subject to section 109 in the same way as physical
 copies in analog form. Similarly, a lawfully made tangible copy
 of a digitally downloaded work, such as a work downloaded to a
 floppy disk, Zip™ disk, or CD-RW, is clearly subject to section
 109."

regards,
alexander.