Re: Bioapi license DFSG free ?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:31:05 +0100 Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if the license below is DFSG free, i have some
> doubt about that and i would like to know in order to do the ITP on
> bioapi framework.

What you posted is the 3-clause BSD license (just with the name of the
copyright holder substituted, compare with
/usr/share/common-licenses/BSD).
It's perfectly fine (software released solely under this license does
comply with the DFSG) and it's GPL-compatible, among other things.

> Please Cc me because i haven't subscribed to the
> list ;).

Done.

> The License :
>
> -----
>
> BioAPI Reference Implementation
>
> IMPORTANT: READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING, COPYING, INSTALLING OR USING. By
> downloading, copying, installing or using the software you agree to
> this license.  If you do not agree to this license, do not download,
> install, copy or use the software.
[...]

This warning is a lie, I would say.
Copyright does not cover use: I can legally use a piece of software
without accepting its copyright license; as long as I do not engage in
activities such as redistribution or modification, I'm perfectly OK.

I don't like seeing such misleading warnings, but I don't think they are
a freeness issue (especially when the license to be agreed to is an
almost-all-permissive one such as the 3-clause BSD).

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4