Re: Re: "License: Perl" considered harmful [Was: "Python" license]

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Personally, I'm not bothered if people put "under the same terms
> as otherthing" as we can do a reasonable substitution and I doubt
> anyone would have a problem with that, would they?

I think it's a problem. Did you read the document I wrote? "Under the
same terms as C" is crazy, so why do we accept "Under the same terms as
Python" when there are 3 major distributions of Python with wildly
different licensing terms? And even within those distributions, the
licensing is not homogeneous.

"Python" is a language, not a program, and does not have a license.
Alternately, "Python" is a distribution of a language and standard
library, and has many licenses (with potentially conflicting terms). In
neither case is "Under the same terms as Python" acceptable.

These arguments apply mutatis mutandis to most languages I'm aware of.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>