Mailing list administration (was: Re: Proposed license for IETF Contributions)

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 06:09:54PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> > P.S.: Please don't reply to me Cc:ing the list, as I didn't ask it.
>> > Reply to the list only, instead, I'd rather avoid receiving replies
>> > twice. Thanks.
>>
>> Cc:ing the author is normal procedures, you should consider using a
>> header like Mail-Followup-To to avoid copies.

>   When using the Debian mailing lists, please follow these rules:
>   . When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a
>     carbon copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly
>     request to be copied.

I stand corrected.

Couldn't the list manager add the proper Mail-Followup-To, if it is
not already present?  I'm reading this mailing list through gmane.org.
It is not scalable to manually check all the rules of various groups,
even if doing so would be courteous.

That rule is problematic if non-members post to the list, either
directly or accidentally by participating in a cross-posted
discussion.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death many times before, this was
just my reaction...

Thanks,
Simon