Re: Licenses for DebConf6

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 11:24:04PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >> Several distros include non-free software, as long as it's
> >> distributable.
> > Debian's one of them -- we just clearly separate out the non-free
> > stuff from the free stuff.
>         I am coming to the conclusion thst we do not clearly enough
>  mark the distinction.

*shrug* The only lack of clarity comes when people indulge in sweeping
rhetoric claiming that everything Debian related is 100% free, which is
not true now and never has been.

>  I am changing my mind about the non-free GR --
>  this time, I would vote differently; since even you seem to imply
>  that Debian includes non-free software, or close enough as to make no
>  difference.

No, I specifically cited the difference from some other distributions --
that we separate it out quite clearly.

Personally, the conclusion I'm coming to is that Debian's spent a little
too much time trying to have it both ways on issues like this, rather than
fighting for what we actually believe even when that doesn't fit into a
simple slogan.

>         I am also now convinced I was mistaken in assuming that we
>  label non-free software "clearly". So, I, for one, am reexamining my
>  previous support for keeping non-free on Debian machines. Perhaps it
>  is coming to the time where the question should again be open for
>  discussion.

Maybe we should just have it on a set date annually, no matter who won
last time.

Cheers,
aj