Re: dual licensing

Here's a response from an FSF volunteer:

-- begin --
> [ajdlinux@gmail.com - Fri Nov 04 22:35:22 2005]:
>
> Are copyright holders who license software under the GPL compelled to
> release source code?
> e.g.
>
> Person A writes a program.
> Person A says it is under the GPL.
> Person A gives a copy of the software to Person B, but does not make
> the program available by other means (eg internet, mail order)
> Person B wants source code
>
> Is person A required to give person B the source code to a GPL program
> he holds full copyright on?

Dear Andrew,

In this specific case, while B should be able to receive the source code
under the terms of the agreement that A shared the software with them,
there is no one to force A to actually share the source code. (Unless,
perhaps, legal action were taken regarding the misleading nature of the
offer that A was making.)

If the code includes any other GPL'd code from a different copyright
holder, then they are required to release all the source - either with
the software or via a written offer valid for all third parties.

Cheers!
--
Zak Greant

--end--

So person A can withhold the source as long as the program doesn't
contain other GPL code. However person B could begin legal action over
a misleading deal.

Andrew