Re: dual licensing (was: Re: [no subject])

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:33:03PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> There's no policy requiring real names on Debian lists, but it should be
> noted that you'll be taken less seriously by many people if you don't.
> (My impression is "he doesn't trust what he says enough to even attach
> his name to it?".)  Just FYI.

What makes you think Arc isn't my real name?  It's a gaelic name that died out
after the romans invaded and most of the male gaelic names were replaced by
happy christian names.  There's a certain amount of cultural sensitivity here,
noting the difference between handles and names is important.

> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:38:21PM -0800, Arc wrote:
>
> No, he hasn't.  He has said "you have permission to do A and B provided
> you do C"; nothing in the GPL says "I, the author, will do the same",
> or even "I promise to make it possible for you to do C".  For example, the
> copyright holder of a GPL-licensed work can distribute binaries statically
> linked against GPL-incompatible libraries, such as BSD-with-OAC, but nobody
> else can.

Read the preamble:

  When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

It'd be interesting to see what Eben Moglen would say on the subject.

--

Diversity is the Fuel of Evolution,
 Conformity its Starvation.