Re: Rules for submitting licenses for review

On Saturday 27 August 2005 09:08 am, Ken Arromdee wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Raul Miller wrote:
> > That said, it looks to me like this license grants you the right to use
> > those game mechanics, including making and distributiong modified
> > versions of them.  If you've spotted someplace in this license which
> > prohibits that kind of thing, I'd appreciate it if you could point that
> > out to me.
>
> Since game mechanics are not copyrightable, without a license at all you
> still have the right to use them.  Although the license does grant you the
> right to use them, it grants you that with conditions.  "Granting" you the
> right to use something under some conditions, when previously you could use
> it without conditions, is taking away rights, not granting them.

Without violating any of my NDA's with Wizards here, I've got to say that they
very much believe that game mechanics are copyrightable.  The mechanics are a
work of authorship put in a tangible form.  There are ways around copyright
law, like independent invention, that are not available with patent law...
but aside from that, you would need a license if you intend to just copy the
d20 system (or create a derivative thereof).

If you still think that game mechanics are not copyrightable, can you point me
to some authority to support your claim.  I'd be interested to see how they
are distinguished from things like cookbooks (which are copyrighted).

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
3rd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown