Re: May be non-copyrighted documment included in main?

** Sean Kellogg ::
> On Friday 19 August 2005 06:47 am, Humberto Massa Guimarães wrote:
> > Nope. There are other kinds of transformation that configure
> > derivative works: translation to other languages is one of them,
> > and it does not involve copying parts at all.
>
> Translation is certainly considered copying.  The text isn't the
> issue, it's the expression that is being copied.  What you seem to
> be talking about is "literal copying".  But in the eyes of the
> law, translation is considered copying of the underlying
> expression.
>
> -Sean

Sean, it may be that we are in different tunes because of our
different jurisdictions here (I know you are a law student). But
down here, non-automated translation is *not* considered copy...
it's a transformation that generates a derivative work. Now, your
_automated_ (gcc, babelfish) translation is considered a copy, but I
was going for the non-automated type. And the DFSG require the
possibility of making derivative works.

--
Massa