Re: Re: BitTorrent Open Source License (Proposed Changes)

On 8/5/05, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> Michael K. Edwards wrote:
>
> >a self-selected crew of ideologues with brazen contempt
> >for real-world law and no fiduciary relationship to anyone is not too
> >swift -- whether or not they have law degrees (or university chairs in
> >law and legal history).  Not all debian-legal participants deserve to
> >be tarred with that brush, but the ones who do are numerous enough and
> >loud enough to give me pause.
> >
> You're referring to yourself here, I assume?

I read, and am enlightened!  To repeatedly disclaim authority, either
as a representative of the community or as a subject matter expert, is
to self-select as an authority!  To acknowledge error, in response to
concrete evidence brought to bear by others or by one's own further
research, is to be an ideologue!  To respect the integrity of judges,
cite extensively from case law, and take seriously precedents raised
by others is to have brazen contempt for real-world law!  War is
peace!  Freedom is slavery!  Ignorance is strength!

(I do, however, have no fiduciary relationship to anyone involved --
and I'm certainly planning to keep it that way at this rate.)