Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> Sometimes source just isn't enough to figure out how a program (or hardware)
> works, lacking eg. hardware documentation; that's annoying, but it's still
> source.  If I create a program with a hex editor, it's source, even if it
> doesn't serve Free Software's goals so well.

This appears to be argument by assertion. Let's try this again:

If you define source as "the preferred form for modification", then
http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_hw.c?rev=1.7&view=markup
is not source. I, on the other hand, believe that it is an acceptable
(though borderline) form of source. Do you believe that this file should
be part of Debian?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org