Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

On 7/16/05, Diego Biurrun <diego@biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 03:09:20AM -0700, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> >
> > If Debian and Thomson knock this domino over, someday even DeCSS may
> > be blessed by the powers that be.  (Though IMHO the only
> > non-infringing use it really has is the product mock-up scenario.)
>
> WTF?  How about watching DVDs?

That requires, AFAICT, a license for the relevant patents from the
relevant patent holders.  AFAIK CSS itself isn't patented (or
patentable) but the typical license agreement for some bits of the DVD
technology suite that are patented is conditioned on respecting the
whole scheme of copy protection, CSS included.  Don't blame me, I
didn't design the system, I don't pull the puppet strings attached to
Jack Valenti, I think CSS is ill designed and ill conceived, etc.,
etc.  I'm just telling it like it is.  You wanna go up against money
and power wielded by very large dinosaurs, have fun -- but don't drag
the bloody operating system into the trenches with you, OK?

Cheers,
- Michael
(IANAL, TINLA)