Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 01:49:17PM -0300, Humberto Massa Guimarães wrote:

> ** Diego Biurrun ::
>
> > Maybe it's time to create some sort of patent/ftp/XXX policy then.
> > The core of this thread revolves around the problem that Debian's
> > stance towards patents is unclear and inconsistent.  Some programs
> > are jugded impossible to package due to patent problems, while
> > others aren't.  This is further complicated by the fact that some
> > MP3 encoders and multimedia applications are packaged while others
> > are not, even though they do the same things and thus fall under
> > the scope of the same patents.
>
> I was under the impression that Debian *did* have a policy: if the
> patent is enforced, towards it, then the software will go to non_US
> -- to the benefit of the sane jurisdictions (as is the EU, in
> principle).

And to what extent is that policy followed?  Neither libdts nor the many
multimedia players available in Debian appear to be in non-US.

How can I get an overview of all the packages in non-US?  Looking on
Debian mirrors just reveals empty packages files:

http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/sarge/non-US/main/binary-i386/Packages
ftp://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/Linux/debian-non-US/dists/sarge/non-US/main/binary-i386/Packages

> > VideoLAN is hosted by ECP, a university from Paris where the
> > project originated.  DTS Inc. sent ECP a cease and desist letter
> > stating that they should stop developing libdts, get a patent
> > license from them or prepare to get sued.  The ECP lawyer tried to
> > settle amicably without success.  DTS requested fees amounting to
> > thousands of dollars per day and the university did not want to go
> > to court.  That was more than one year ago and libdts is no longer
> > distributed on its own and has been removed from VLC.  Furthermore
> > development on the library has stopped.
> >
> > That's as good a precedent for patent enforcement as you'll get.
> > FUD at its best, but it worked.  This is how the patent scare
> > works.
>
> Not down here, thanks God and our corrupt lawmakers. Seriously.
> Software patents are just plain Evil.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, all of them without exception.  *sigh*

Diego