Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

Jack Moffitt <jack@xiph.org> writes:

[snip, chop, trim]

> Before we released Ogg Vorbis beta 1, we did indeed hire a patent
> specializing attorney to go over the MP3 suite of patents.  He only
> thought it necessary to issue a formal opinion on a single one of these
> patents.  We were advised by him, and other attorney's, that the
> specifics of this opinion could not be divulged publically.  Since that
> time (around 2000,2001 I believe), I believe several companies have also
> had lawyers look over this issue.

Thanks for this very informative statement.

Two questions spring to mind, one MP3-technical and one patent-technical:

1. which patent was the one worth issuing an opinion on?

2. why was the opinion not to be divulged publically?

Clearly, the specific patent is a matter of interest for those
developing in this area so they can effectively get advice.

The other question is "what kind of useful advice cannot be propagated,
and why?"...

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk