Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

I wrote:
> Personally, I would be little more inclined to rely on the continued
> availability of royalty-free open-source Ogg/Vorbis encoders than
> their MP3 equivalents without some indication that someone competent
> is on record as to the basis for a reasonable belief that they do not
> infringe the Fraunhofer suite.

In case it seemed otherwise:  I am very much pro-Ogg/Vorbis.  I am not
particularly pro-software-patents but I am not under the illusion that
the MP3 patents have less traction in the world's major legal systems
than numerous others which have been litigated successfully by their
holders.  I have recently become aware of the details of the "duty of
due care" standard apparently last modified by the Federal Circuit
court in Knorr-Bremse v. Dana (2004), and while I am not aware of any
personal risk to myself, it would be nice to know what there is to
know about the state of the state, so to speak.

Cheers,
- Michael
(IANAL, TINLA)