Re: Mandatory click wraps trivially non-free

On Thursday 14 July 2005 02:28 pm, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> > >
> > > Surely you can see that requiring the clickwrap license to be viewed
> > > by the user is a serious restriction both on modification (3) and a
> > > field of endeavor (7); especially as there's no "clickwrap license"
> > > over RSS protocol.
> >
> > The original downloader (slashdot) would be obliged to click on the
> > 'I accept the GPL terms' because the original author's chose to put
> > it in there. But there is nothing stoping slashdot from ripping out
> > the clickwrap before they put load it onto their system.
>
> We're discussing two different things then. If the click wrap can be
> removed from the program, then I submit that it is not mandatory, nor
> a requirement of "actual manifestation of assent." It's merely a
> dialog box that the author happened to have placed into their program
> because they felt it would be nice to have people click on a button.

Ah, agreement!  Fantastic.  There are some semantic differences between us,
but nothing worth quibbling over.  Obviously the GPL prohibits a pop-up which
cannot be removed by a later distributor.  My only contention was that as a
distributor, if I wanted extra assurance that those I was distributing to saw
the GPL, that I could have it pop up in my distributions.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
3rd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown