Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

Hi Dan,

> This is not a "condition[] imposed on you ... that contradict[s]
> the conditions of [the GPL]," as per GPL Section 7, because
> exercising due care to avoid infringing a patent and redistributing
> software royalty free are not mutually exclusive.

They might be if we choose to ship a GPL'd package with MP3 support,
as Debian does. You can't exercise the due care and not know about
the royalty-bearing patents. Ignorance isn't a defence, and neither
is denial.

As a short term solution, we will make our own package of XMMS without
MP3 or other proprietary codec support. It's inconvenient for users,
but I'd rather we did the right thing.

Cheers!

Daniel