Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

Daniel James <daniel@64studio.com> wrote:
[...]
> I also find it hard to believe that the Xiph.org developers would have
> put many years of work into the Ogg codecs (Vorbis, Theora etc) on
> the basis of mere FUD.

Well, Vorbis has taken advantage of open development to produce
a tighter encoding. Also, Vorbis is extensible and Vorbis II
plans wavelet transform instead of trig function transform,
which became popular later but is more appropriate for some
sounds. Decoding Vorbis is computationally simpler because
it skips a stage needed to decode MP3 (fast processors are
expensive, memory is cheaper) which also makes it attractive
to some. Finally, I think the attention from patent-holders
over MP3 encoding and format (not decoding) was the catalyst.

1. http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html#id4755883
2. http://www.tnl.net/who/bibliography/vorbis/

--
MJR/slef