Re: Linux mark extortion

Stephen Frost wrote:

>Did I miss something here?  Does Debian actually have such a license (or
>SPI)?

No, but LMI's position is that everybody who uses the mark "Linux" has
to get one. It's stated very clearly on their web site. Of course Debian
has made use of the mark for over 11 years without any license, so it's
debatible that LMI could enforce anything at this late date.

However, I don't feel the Userlinux project, a Debian derivative, should
support policies that are bad for Debian. By entering into the LMI
license (and thus joining LMI) we would be doing so. I would see their
policy modified to be acceptable by Debian and other similar projects
before Userlinux joins.

    Thanks

    Bruce