Re: MPlayer revisited

Diego Biurrun <diego@biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 05:34:02PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > Bugs in some package already in debian doesn't let another package
> > with those bugs in as a right, though. It just means we have bugs
> > to deal with.
> Yes.  Still Debian's position needs to be consistent and credible as
> well.  If MPlayer has problem X and therefore cannot enter Debian, then
> the other multimedia players sharing problem X would have to be removed,
> wouldn't they?

The other multimedia players should have a bug of the appropriate
severity reported to them. I'd expect anything serious enough to
keep MPlayer out would cause them to be removed from a release,
or maybe even the archive entirely.

[...]
> > or maybe nothing mplayer team will be good enough and
> > we need to get a lawyerly opinion.
> Sorry, I don't understand this sentence, could you please clarify?

Sorry, I seem to have missed words. Should read "maybe nothing
the mplayer team can say will be good enough".

[...]
> MPlayer includes both libdvdcss and libdvdread in the libmpdvdkit2
> directory.  IIRC Andrea removed it and decided to link to the Debian
> libdvdread dynamically.

I think my summary is accurate but unclear. I'll improve it later.

Thanks,

--
MJR/slef