Re: New 'Public Domain' Licence

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:36:27PM -0700, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> To resolve this sad and not uncommon story, Congress granted the copyright
> holders an inalienable termination right which allows the author to revoke a

In other words, "for their own good", Congress removed people's right to
license their own creations however they see fit; they restricted freedom
to "preserve it".  And as expected, it backfires as soon as an unexpected
situation arises--such as people honestly wanting to give their creation
to the world, for free, guaranteeing that the work will always remain
under those terms.

> Certainly it is frustrating, but I think there are sound policy reasons behind
> the law.

I disagree strongly.  It's restricting what I can do with my own works,
denying me the basic right to give it away for free, without the threat
of revocation down the line.

--
Glenn Maynard