Re: Trademark license compatibility with GPL and/or DFSG

Nicholas Jefferson <xanthophile@gmail.com> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Who cares? Why not rename it and avoid the whole debate, if the
> > maintainer thinks their terms might be unacceptable?
> I think it would be helpful if the driver was named after the
> technology. If the bluetooth driver was named "harold" and the trident
> driver named "poseidon" it would not be obvious that the kernel
> supports these technologies. It adds a needless layer of abstraction
> onto the naming of kernel modules.

Of course, the "harold bluetooth driver" is absurd. As absurd as
the Apache HTTP Daemon or the Samba file server, indeed. :-/

> [...] They want their trademarks stripped from modified
> code that is essentially different in intent and purpose from the
> original code.

The licence must not try to forbid all use of the trademark in a
way that exceeds what an unconnected person could do.

--
MJR/slef