Re: GPL and linking

On 5/11/05, Raul Miller <moth.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> At no point did I assume that the GPL was a statute, nor a
> magical creature.
>
> In other words, you're begging the question.  (And arguing a
> straw man.)

I stand by my man, straw or otherwise.  In any given jurisdiction
there are rather clear rules about how to extract meaning from the
available evidence of a contract between two parties (or more, if it's
a contract to form a corporation; thanks, Batist).  If you profess to
be making a legal argument, then the rules, if any, that you seem to
be using are more appropriate for a statute or a magical creature of
copyright law.  If you do not profess to be making a legal argument,
then we have nothing to disagree about.

Not even the Supreme Court Of Your Choice has the authority to set
those rules aside and make a contract mean what they think it ought to
mean; if they do, that's not a legal system, it's despotic prerogative
(cf. Lord Camden in Donaldson v. Beckett).  And arguing in willful
ignorance of those rules is guaranteed to produce false conclusions
with a document as deliberately misleading as the GPL.  Don't think
it's deliberate?  Maybe the Indiana court will have something to say
about that.  (And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with that suit.)

Cheers,
- Michael