Re: advice on highpoint drivers

Filippo Giunchedi <filippo@esaurito.net> wrote:
> controllers, however no license is included in the tarball, nor the FAQ
> provides an answer. I'm going to contact highpoint to ask for a license.

That's probably a good move.

> Their driver includes binary parts, so it is not "opensource" as they put it,
> should highpoint in your opinion remove the "open source" statement and/or
> add a FAQ?

"opensource" is a meaningless phrase. As long as they aren't claiming
certification from OSI, they're probably not doing anything punishable.
I've certainly seen "open source" from larger companies that couldn't
be modified at all in the past. To some, "open" simply means "viewable".
http://mjr.towers.org.uk/writing/ambigopen.html

--
MJR/slef