Re: Is public domain software DFSG-compliant?

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 06:51:15PM -0500, Karl Fogel wrote:
> Is public domain software DFSG-compliant?
>
> Sorry if this is a FAQ; I couldn't find the answer anywhere on the
> Debian web site.  I am asking after reading this text on
> http://www.debian.org/intro/free:
>
>    "Truly free software is always free. Software that is placed in the
>     public domain can be snapped up and put into non-free programs.
>     Any improvements then made are lost to society. To stay free,
>     software must be copyrighted and licensed."

Why does that page say this?  This is the FSF's agenda, not Debian's,
and claims that the X11 and other simple, permissive licenses are not
"truly free", which is ridiculous.  I don't think an "intro to Free
Software" on Debian's site should be making such a statement.

There may be practical problems with public domain in some jurisdictions,
but that aside, it, as well as permissive, non-copyleft licenses, are
certainly "truly"- and DFSG-free.

> Please CC me on any responses; I'm not subscribed to this list.

Please set your Mail-Followup-To header accordingly.

--
Glenn Maynard