Re: Concerns about works created by the US government

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 03:00:00 +0100 Henning Makholm wrote:

> On the other hand, I think it is common for countries only to award
> copyright protection to works produced in foreign countries only to
> the extent that copyright exists in the country of origin. But I may
> be wrong.

Well, this is an issue that I would really love to understand!

If I understand correctly, in Italy (and other similar jurisdictions)
authors are not allowed to place their works in the public domain: works
fall in the PD only when author's economic rights expire (that is 70
years after the author's death and similar rules).

On the other hand, US authors can explicitly place their works in the
PD.

Suppose a work is created in the USA by a US author and placed in the
PD.
Then the work is downloaded by an Italian citizen.
Is that work in the PD in Italy as well?

Or is it copyrighted?
If it is, in lack of a proper license, it's "All Rights Reserved"
proprietary!
That would result in the opposite of the original author's goal!

I have tried to find an answer to this question by asking several
Italian lawyers, but no one seems to know the answer (or even care to
reply, in most cases...).    :-(
So far, no luck.

Does anyone know the answer?

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4