Re: Concerns about works created by the US government

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> Hm, do we have anything in Debian with a "this is U.S. government
> work, so copyright does not apply to it" license status? I seem to
> remember that -legal once concluded that it was as good as "public
> domain", but I cannot find it in the archives.

The ncbi-tools6 package I maintain falls into this category; its
source files generally state up front

*                            PUBLIC DOMAIN NOTICE
*               National Center for Biotechnology Information
*
*  This software/database is a "United States Government Work" under the
*  terms of the United States Copyright Act.  It was written as part of
*  the author's official duties as a United States Government employee and
*  thus cannot be copyrighted.  This software/database is freely available
*  to the public for use. The National Library of Medicine and the U.S.
*  Government have not placed any restriction on its use or reproduction.
*
*  Although all reasonable efforts have been taken to ensure the accuracy
*  and reliability of the software and data, the NLM and the U.S.
*  Government do not and cannot warrant the performance or results that
*  may be obtained by using this software or data. The NLM and the U.S.
*  Government disclaim all warranties, express or implied, including
*  warranties of performance, merchantability or fitness for any particular
*  purpose.
*
*  Please cite the author in any work or product based on this material.

BTW, please Cc: me on replies -- I don't generally read -legal, and
just happened to stumble across this thread when looking for something
else.