Re: kernel firmware status

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 06:06:34PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> I created a wiki page that contains a list of all drivers that are
> currently considered undistributable by Debian, the available license
> information we have for them, and various other comments:
>
> http://wiki.debian.net/?KernelFirmwareLicensing
>
> I would appreciate feedback from d-l about the various firmware blobs that
> *do* contain licensing.  Remember that the goal is to distribute the
> firmware in non-free, embedded in the drivers themselves; however,
> separate from the main kernel tree.

Picking on a few at random:

> > Quoth the page: "Look at the source files yourself to understand
> > any licensing restrictions on their use.  Alteon's license may be
> > summarised like this: you may share and develop the firmware, but it
> > is only for use with Alteon NIC products."

That summary is obviously bogus because you can't do that in a
license. I looked at the source files, and I did not find any license
at all. Everything says "All rights reserved" on it. So I think this
is just yet another entirely unlicensed firmware bundle - ironically,
it's one which *does* include source written in C, so there is
absolutely no chance anybody could argue that the hex dump is source.

> > * This firmware is for the Emagic EMI 2|6 Audio Interface
> > *
> > * The firmware contained herein is Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Emagic
> > * as an unpublished work. This notice does not imply unrestricted
> > * or public access to this firmware which is a trade secret of Emagic,
> > * and which may not be reproduced, used, sold or transferred to
> > * any third party without Emagic's written consent. All Rights Reserved.

That's clearly nonsense. It's not unpublished or a trade secret if
it's published in the kernel. Anyway, you need written permission to
distribute it at all.

However, is it the same emagic as here?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jul/01emagic.html

If so, it might be worth asking Apple. They'll probably either grant a
license for it or sue everybody who's been distributing it.

> >       The firmware contained herein as keyspan_*.h is
> >
> >               Copyright (C) 1999-2001
> >               Keyspan, A division of InnoSys Incorporated ("Keyspan")
> >
> >       as an unpublished work. This notice does not imply unrestricted or
> >       public access to the source code from which this firmware image is
> >       derived.  Except as noted below this firmware image may not be
> >       reproduced, used, sold or transferred to any third party without
> >       Keyspan's prior written consent.  All Rights Reserved.
> >
> >       Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
> >       image as part of a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel
> >       in text or binary form as required.
> >
> >       This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with
> >       Keyspan hardware.  Distribution and/or Modification of the
> >       keyspan.c driver which includes this firmware, in whole or in
> >       part, requires the inclusion of this statement."

Finally, one with a real license. It's obviously non-free, but I see
no reason why it can't be distributed in non-free, with the usual
provisos about proprietary drivers being entirely unsupportable.

A few of these are BSD-licensed binaries; those are indeed
distributable, although of course they're proprietary.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |